Posted: April 6, 2022
Photo by Ben Wirtz Siegel, BSVC ’02
“No matter how the world changes, our focus at Ohio University will always be student success.” – President Hugh Sherman
From a new medical education building and arts facility to a thriving esports program and an unrivaled history of Bobcat innovation, Ohio University is reinforcing its commitment to student success and positioning the OHIO community for the future – and you can read all about it in the Spring 2022 issue of ohio today.
The numerical question of ohio today, the Ohio University alumni magazine, is available at ohiotoday.org, and the print publication will soon arrive in mailboxes and on campuses. Here are some highlights from the spring issue:
- Care Lives Here – Heritage Hall welcomed its first students in the fall semester, opening a new chapter for medical education at OHIO and the campus landscape.
- History Meets Art – Seigfred Hall’s new Don E. Adleta TypeShop and Bindery uses printing processes and instruments from the past to fuel the creative minds of the future.
- Game on! — Behind the scenes of recent investments in Ohio University’s burgeoning esports program is a group of motivated students, alumni and faculty who see the abundance of opportunity in the industry and send a message to the competitive gaming world: OHIO is ready to play.
- A tale of two titans – Somavert®, a life-saving treatment for a rare disease, would not exist without OHIO’s Dr. John Kopchick, who discovered a growth hormone receptor antagonist, and the former elevates drug development changemaker Rick Hawkins, who took this discovery from the lab to the global marketplace. Discover how extraordinary innovation, Bobcat relationships and unwavering determination gave birth to life-saving medicine and the largest royalty revenue in OHIO history.
- Scripps Hall: From Print to Pixel — ohio today“Time Machine” examines the evolution of what began as the first campus building created for use as a library and became OHIO’s home for educating skilled students in the latest ways of storytelling, sharing information and entertainment – and a new esports arena.
- A hub for student support – A new student success office and model reconceptualizes the OHIO experience and paves the way for success on campus and after graduation.
- Family doctors of the future – The 2021 graduates are pioneering an accelerated community medical education program developed in partnership with the Cleveland Clinic.
- Year after Year – As OHIO prepares for its third Giving Day on April 13, ohio today shines the spotlight on alumnus Gary Clark, who holds a significant record at his alma mater as the institution’s longest-serving annual donor.
- Last Word—For more than 20 years, Dr. Kitty Consolo of The Ohio University at Zanesville has used her experience—and her extraordinary legacy in women’s sports—to inspire OHIO students to experience what they learn.
- One for the Books – A new book breaks new ground for its author and The Ohio University Press.
To read these stories and more, click here.
Click here to browse a digital version of the magazine.
ohio today is the alumni magazine of Ohio University and a publication of The Ohio University Foundation. For more information on ohio today or to provide feedback, email [email protected]