Comal County School Districts Prepare for Enrollment Rush | Community alert


After a year where many students have taken some sort of distance education, New Braunfels ISD and Comal ISD are enrolling, along with new and returning students for the fall.

Comal ISD online registration opens July 26, while New Braunfels ISD online registration opens August 9.

Vaccinations are mandatory for students unless their parent or guardian provides a vaccination exemption form.

The Texas Department of Health and Human Services has set minimum vaccine requirements for students, including vaccines against pertussis, meningitis, and polio.

COVID-19 vaccination is not a state requirement for school enrollment, and there is none for those under the age of 12.

Students 12 years of age or older can receive the COVID-19 vaccine at any time while being vaccinated.

By state law, starting in the 2021-2022 school year, all classes must receive two doses of the hepatitis A vaccine.

The first dose must be received on or after the 1st birthday, and schools will accept a receipt of the dose four days before their birthday.

The second dose should be received approximately 6 months after the first. Other states don’t require it, so if they don’t have it, they should get it before they go to school in the fall.

All grades are also required to obtain the vaccine against polio, hepatitis B, chickenpox and measles, mumps and rubella (MMR).

For students in grades 7 to 12, they should receive a dose of the required meningococcal vaccine on or after the student’s 11th birthday.

The Texas administrative code allows individuals to complete exemption forms for any vaccine required by the state for several reasons: medical, active duty military, and “conscientiousness.”

Parents do not have to disclose to the district why they want their child to be exempt as long as they complete state forms.

Registration at DSI Comal

Registration for K-12 students is done online through the Skyward portal, which provides information such as grades, class times and attendance.

There are two links, one for new students and one for old students.

Campuses are open on specific dates so students can view class schedules, change schedules, purchase parking permits, purchase athletic wear, and other tasks.

A link is provided for picking up student schedules and registration assistance on the “School Registration” page on the district website.

Parents or guardians of new students can create a new Skyward account by following the online instructions and instructional video on the “New Students” webpage.

For multiple students, register one student at a time.

Via the portal, they must provide proof of residence – a mortgage or rental agreement or a recent utility bill from an electric, gas, water or cable company.

The document must be current and dated within 30 days of registration.

If they do not own or rent a residence, they must complete a notarized declaration of residence and upload it along with the other necessary documents.

Other required documents include an immunization record from a previous school or family doctor, an unofficial transcript or report card from the previous school, and a birth certificate.

Returning students must provide proof of residency and a vaccination record if they have been updated within the past year.

New Braunfels ISD registration

Parents or guardians of returning students must register online through txConnect.

Go to, then click on the “Parents” tab then on the txConnect tab on the left.

Parents or guardians of new students should contact the student’s home campus to make an appointment to enroll.

If new to the district, parents or guardians must provide the student’s birth certificate, social security card, vaccination record, and residency verification.

Residency verification includes parent’s or guardian’s Texas driver’s license or Texan ID with a current address and at least proof of residency.

This could be an NBU, CenterPoint Energy, or GVEC invoice, a rental agreement listing all occupants, a mortgage agreement, or a notarized letter from their landlord listing all occupants.

If the family lives with another IBSD resident, a residency form must be completed on campus.

The parent or guardian and the resident of the INSNB should make an appointment with the campus secretary.

The resident of the NBSI must provide proof of residency and the campus director must approve all forms.


Leave A Reply